Timeout

D.J.Steinitz D.J.Steinitz@ukc.ac.uk
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:36:27 +0100

There seem to be a few variants of timeout around.
I've copied the one from asynchronous exceptions.

Is this the right one to use? There didn't seem to be
a library version which I thought there should have been.

I'd welcome any advice.

Dominic.

module ConcurrUtil(eitherIO,
                   timeout) where

import Prelude hiding (catch)
import Exception
import Concurrent

data EitherRet a b = A a | B b | X Exception

eitherIO :: IO a -> IO b -> IO (Either a b)
eitherIO a b =
   do m <- newEmptyMVar
      block
         (do a_id <- forkIO (catch (do r <- unblock a
	                               putMVar m (A r))
                                   (\e -> putMVar m (X e)))
             b_id <- forkIO (catch (do r <- unblock b
                                       putMVar m (B r))
                                   (\e -> putMVar m (X e)))
             let loop = catch (takeMVar m)
	                      (\e -> do throwTo a_id e