i368-pc-os2-emx port

Albert Lai trebla@vex.net
20 Feb 2002 14:10:06 -0500

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> On the other hand, you'd need something like mingw for OS/2 - does
> such a beast exist?

The substring "emx" refers to an OS/2 version of gcc and libraries
that make OS/2 look really like Unix from the programmer's point of
view.  (It probably even pre-dates cygwin.)  I have two encouraging
stories to tell.  First, for a school assignment, I wrote an OpenGL
program on emx, then ported it to school's Solaris+Mesa ten minutes
before the deadline --- where porting meant removing "#include
<os2.h>".  Second, I wrote a program that used tcpip sockets on Unix,
then merely recompiled it on emx to use it on OS/2 as well.