Congrats to Mandrake

Albert Lai trebla@vex.net
20 Feb 2002 13:56:29 -0500

ketil@ii.uib.no (Ketil Z. Malde) writes:

> I'm not sure what the point would be, if they are in the
> distributions anyway?  Isn't it better to install them by apt-get or
> up2date or whatever?  (In fact, I had almost thought manually
> downloading packages a thing of the past, but then the IT department
> insisted on Red Hat)

If I, a developer, wrote a program, and some distributions included it
(while others didn't), I would want to acknowledge and thank them in
public.

If I, a potential customer choosing among Linux distributions, liked
to use a program, and I saw on the program home page that so-and-so
distributions included the program, I would arrange my preference
accordingly.

If I, an absent-minded user, heard about some great program from my
friends, and saw on the program home page which distributions included
it, I might realize "Gosh, *my* distribution CD already has it!" and
save some download and install effort.  Remember, I am absent-minded,
so I wouldn't know what's on my CD unless someone stick it on my
face. :)

I probably don't need hyperlinks; I just need to know if my
distribution includes it or not.