Problem with building GHC (CVS version)

Sean Seefried seefried@itee.uq.edu.au
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:11:09 +1000

I've just download the latest version of GHC from the CVS archives and I
am having quite some difficulty building it on a linux machine (Debian
distro)

The configure script decided that my machine was a i386-unknown-linux.

Here is the output where the error occurs.

....(about a page and a half of _split files)
lit Text/Read/Lex_split Text/Regex_split Text/Regex/Posix_split
Text/Show_split
Text/Show/Functions_split -name '*.p_o') | xargs ar q libHSbase_p.a
xargs: ar: terminated by signal 9
make[3]: *** [libHSbase_p.a] Error 125
make[3]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase_p.a'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/semantix/cvsmods/fptools/libraries'
make: *** [build] Error 1

I've noticed that 'ar' was consuming an enormous amount of memory (more
than the paltry 128 of my machine), so my computer trashed quite a bit
at this point, as it swapped to and from the swap drive.

Could this error be due to running out of memory?

Sean