Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:04:24 +0100

Simon Marlow wrote:
> That's strange, configure is supposed to emit the error only if
> config.guess fails.
> maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
> ./config.guess: line 844: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: line 1: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: line 1105: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: unable to guess system type
> Keine Berechtigung == No authorization (according to babel fish).  You
> wouldn't perchance be trying to configure in a  tree you don't have
> write access to, would you?

Yes, since ownership changed I don't have write permission. But I could
reproduce the original output below (because the same problem occurred
when installing hugs). Oddly, other users here get "i686-pc-linu-gnu".

maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2001-07-09, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

If the version you run (./config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2001-07-09

uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.4.19-4GB
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #2 Mon Dec 9 11:21:22 CET 2002

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              = i686
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_VERSION = #2 Mon Dec 9 11:21:22 CET 2002