Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:38:28 +0100

Simon Marlow wrote:
>>when installing ghc and hugs under SuSE linux 8.1 I got
>>"configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one"
>>It worked after I added "--host=i386-linux"
>>[ redirected to glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org ]
>>What does config.guess return on your system?
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
> That's strange, configure is supposed to emit the error only if
> config.guess fails.

maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
./config.guess: line 844: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: line 1: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: line 1105: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2001-07-09, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

could this output be the source of my problem? (Meanwhile the owner of
the ghc tree changed so I cannot really reproduce the situation.)

Cheers Christian