./configure

Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:38:28 +0100

Simon Marlow wrote:

>>when installing ghc and hugs under SuSE linux 8.1 I got
>>
>>"configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one"
>>
>>It worked after I added "--host=i386-linux"
>>

>>[ redirected to glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org ]
>>
>>What does config.guess return on your system?
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>

> That's strange, configure is supposed to emit the error only if
> config.guess fails.

maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
./config.guess: line 844: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: line 1: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: line 1105: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2001-07-09, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from
[...]

could this output be the source of my problem? (Meanwhile the owner of
the ghc tree changed so I cannot really reproduce the situation.)

Cheers Christian