constructor names in generic classes

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:36:59 +0100

Not very likely.

I'm much more enthusisatic about Template Haskell just now,
which lets you do similar things in a different way, and much
more besides.

See my home page
	http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj=20

I'm getting on with the implementation.  If you are interested,
check out the meta-haskell-branch of the CVS tree.  It'll become
the HEAD as soon as I'm sure I haven't broken anything badly,
and thence get into a release.

Meanwhile, constructor and field names for Derivable Type Classes
languish, I fear.
=20
Simon

|=20
|=20
|=20
| Is it likely that the ability to access data constructor /=20
| field names as described in the "Derivable type classes"=20
| paper will be implemented any time soon?
|=20
| I was playing with a ShowXML / ReadXML library. It would be=20
| much easier for users if they could just write
|=20
| instance ShowXML MyData
| instance ReadXML MyData
|=20