HDirect for GHC 5.04

Paul Moore gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk
21 Aug 2002 22:56:56 +0100

"Sigbjorn Finne" <sof@galois.com> writes:

> Thanks, fixed in the current sources. To make it
> work for you, you need supply defns of libdir
> and datadir when doing 'install-pkg', e.g.,
>
>   foo$ make install-pkg libdir=`pwd` datadir=`pwd`
>
> (make sure you remove HDirect.pkg first.)

Hm. This actually puts Cygwin-format pathnames in HDirect.pkg
(/cygdrive/c/...) which (the Windows native) GHC doesn't recognise.

> This is all somewhat academic to you though, as you're
> really just interested in the COM version of the libraries
> in comlib/ (for which 'make install-pkg' does the right thing.)

The comlib version also ends up with Cygwin-format pathnames, so has
the same problem.

[Why do you say I'm not going to be interested in the "lib" stuff?
I've not really fully understood the difference between the two parts
yet...]

On a not-really-related note, this leaves the GHC installation
pointing at where I unpacked HDirect (ie, "install-pkg" doesn't
install the package, in the sense of copying it into a central
location, it just sets up pointers). A note in the documentation would
be useful here, as I unpacked the tarball into a temporary directory
and built there - if I hadn't noticed this issue from investigating
the above problem, I'd have deleted my temporary directory after the
install, and posted lots more "it doesn't work" messages... :-)

Is it possible to "install" HDirect, possibly even under the GHC
directory tree? Which files are needed for this? Just the .hi files?

Thanks once again for all the support with this.

Paul.