HOpenGL quo vadis?

Sven Panne Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:49:45 +0200

Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:

 > GHC 5.04 builds the incomplete port of HOpenGL to the new hierarchical
 > library structure. Why not the old but working hslibs version?

I know this is a bit messy, but sometimes APIs, compilers and languages
evolve faster than one can track...  So the story is:

    * The "official" HOpenGL version is the one from my web site,
      currently 1.03. This is the most complete and tested one, although
      it is not actively developed anymore, apart from small bug fixes
      and installation issues.

    * The hslibs stuff is a partial Green-Card-free conversion of the
      stuff above. It's old and rather incomplete, and I think I'll
      remove it from the hslibs tree soon to avoid further confusion.

    * While I was working on the hslibs version of HOpenGL, the FFI
      evolved quite a bit and the hierarchical library structure
      emerged. OpenGL itself changed a bit, too, Haddock came into life,
      I discovered the OpenGL .spec files etc.  So I decided to make a
      fresh start in the hierarchical libraries. Currently GLUT is almost
      finished, but GL/GLU is almost non-existent.

Cheers,
    S.