powerpc-linux port

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:00:36 +0100

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 05:50:49PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > > No, actually I'd like to have GHC, because many libraries=20
> I want to
> > > use depend on it. But good that you point this out, maybe=20
> it would be
> > > possible to have NHC compile GHC... Although the FAQ says it=20
> > > would most probably not work.
> >=20
> > It most *definitely* would not work ;-)
> >=20
> > To bootstrap the unregisterised version, I suggest starting=20
> from version
> > 4.08.2.  The reason is that bootstrapping more recent=20
> versions from .hc
> > files is significantly more difficult (but hopefully should=20
> get easier
> > again soon...).
>=20
> OK, be it 4.08.2 then. I see there are HC files for x86 and=20
> Sparc, how do
> I get (produce) them for PowerPC?

You need to start from unregisterised .hc files, which you have to build
on a supported platform (eg. Linux/x86). =20

Here's a message that has some details on how to do the bootstrap:

=09
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2000-October/0014
45.html

(which coincidentally is a reply to another guy who asked about
PPC/Linux...)