module namespaces with "Prelude"

Johan Nordlander nordland@cs.chalmers.se
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:43:26 +0200

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 11:30 , Simon Marlow wrote:

>> All in all, dropping all implicit directories from the search
>> path gets my vote.
>
> "me too".
>
> I wasn't aware that Hugs did this, and GHCi certainly doesn't.  It's
> reasonable to leave "." in the default search path, but adding an
> implicit root for an imported module will certainly lead to trouble -
> after all, we use hierarchical module names because the modules at the
> leaves of the tree are expected to overlap.

But it is this "." in the default path that is the reason GHCi
gives unexpected results, isn't it?  [See Hal Daume's original
bug report]

Also, even if we have no implicit roots, an explicit "." in the
search path might give rise to exactly the same problems.  This
is only better than the current status in the sense that we can
say "the programmer asked for it"...

-- Johan