handling of multibyte char strings

Jorge Adriano jadrian@mat.uc.pt
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:57:27 +0100

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 01:57:31AM +0900, Jens Petersen wrote:
> > Is anything allowed in literal strings except ascii?  utf-8?

Well, it handles isolatin characters correctly (iso8859-1).
I've played with the Euro Symbol (=E2=82=AC) and had no problem either (i=
so8859-15)

On Sunday 14 April 2002 01:01, John Meacham wrote:
> this has bitten me in the last day or so too. i regularly use utf-8 in
> my comments and would like to see them in string literals too.
> foo :: =E2=88=80=CE=B1=CE=B2 . =CE=B1 =E2=86=92 =CE=B2
> looks much prettier than the alternative.

Note: Not that pretty in here, maybe it's my system fault, even though I =
have=20
utf-8 suport. I do see the alphas and betas, but have no Idea what that=20
square is - Linux/KDE3.0/Kmail.=20

Well that would be nice.
Meanwhile, one possibility for xemacs users, would be something like the=20
proofgeneral package (http://www.proofgeneral.org) for haskell.
Besides morphing xemacs into a really nice IDE, it renders some keywords=20
to non-ascii symbols (like greek letters) using the xsymbol package. That=
,=20
combined with a slightly modified literate haskell LaTeX style would be=20
really nice.

J.A.

=20