interpreter features

Johannes Waldmann joe@isun.informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:08:55 +0100 (MET)

> But        Prelude> let {type T = Int;  n = 1 :: T}
> does not.

yes, local type declarations would be nice (not just for ghci)
but that requires serious design work (in the type and module system).
See the recent paper on first class modules posted here.

> I would like too Haskell to behave like a good interpreter, with
> self-applicability, dynamic features, like, maybe, some Lisp systems do.

If I want LISP, I use LISP, but most of the time I want strict typing
at compile time, and therefore I use Haskell. Sometimes, I end up
writing (in Haskell) mini-interpreters (for some domain-specific language).
Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann ---- http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~joe/ --