ghc-5.0.2 for RedHat 7.x

Chris Dornan cdornan@arm.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:11:25 +0000

 > I am trying to install ghc-5.02 on an NFS partition for use
 > with RedHad 7.1.  The make in-place scheme with the binary
 > tar balls (as supplied for RedHat 6.2) work very well for this.
 > Does anyone know of such a tar ball for RedHat 7.1 or should I
 > be building from source, or can I adapt the RPM packages to put
 > things where I want them?

To answer my own question, the only thing that seems to be stopping
from using the RedHat-6.2 distribution on a RedHat 7.1 machine
is libreadline.so, it have been changed from .so.3 to .so.4.  However,
if I create a symbolic link from one to the other (as suggested by
the GHC Mini FAQ for SUSE systems) then it appears to work fine.

In summary to get the ghc-5.00.2 binary tar ball to work on a
RedHat 7.1 system create a symbolic link from libreadline.so.3,
in a directory on $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
and it all seems to work fine.

How easy would it be to use libreadline.a in making up the
GHC distribution?

(GHC implementers: ghc is a very fine system; thanks.)

Chris