Working character by character in Haskell

Andre W B Furtado awfurtado@uol.com.br
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:09:58 -0300

Humn... I agree with both of you, Albert and Tom. I started it from the
beginning, using map and don't using reverse anymore. But the C program is
still 7x faster than the Haskell one. Here is the code of the Haskell
program:

main :: IO ()
main = do
 bmFile <- openFileEx "in.txt" (BinaryMode ReadMode)
 bmString <- hGetContents bmFile
 writeFile "out.txt" (map inc bmString)
 hClose bmFile

inc :: Char -> Char
inc a = toEnum ((fromEnum a) + 1)

And now the C program:

#include <stdio.h>

void main()
{
 FILE *in, *out;
 char ch;

 in = fopen("in.txt","rb");
 out = fopen("out.txt","wb");

 while ( (ch=getc(in)) != EOF)
  putc(ch + 1,out);
 fclose(out);
 fclose(in);
}

As you noticed, the main idea here is to increment the character by "one".
Is the Haskell program now a nice translation of the C program? If it is (I
think so...) why is the C program so much faster than it?

Thanks again,
-- Andre