qforeign-0.65: Bzip2: problems with [Word8]

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:03:16 -0700

At 2001-10-16 11:12, Michael Marte wrote:

>But I need String -> String!
>(Reading from a file, decompressing, and feeding it to the XML parser.)
>How can I do this?

The "reading from a file" part is arguably a misdesign in the standard
libraries. There ought to be Word8-based file IO functions for
reading/writing the bytes of a file. I'm not sure, but I think the
Char-based functions may even do newline conversion.

>I found out that fromIntegral does the conversion from Word8 to Char
>but I do not know how to convert from Char to Word8.

I think fromIntegral will work for that too.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA