No type lib generated by hdirect

Mike Thomas miketh@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:06:50 +1000

Hi Patrick.

This is probably because you need to build HDirect in two stages - once
without typelibrary support, and once with.  Here is the process I used to
build HDirect 0.17 with ghc 4.08 under NT (much is probably irrelevant as I
think some of these problems have been sorted by Sigbjorne):

Building HDIrect 0.17

 - Uninstall previous versions of HDirect including "lib/imports/com" and
associated libraries, which don't work very well with GHC 4.08.2.

 - Get the source from the HDirect web site and untar it somewhere.

 - You may need to edit "lib/WideStringSrc.c" if you use the latest Cygwin
distribution to remove a clashing definition and declaration of wcslen().

 - Build per the instructions in the INSTALL file.

 - This gives you a bare bones ihc.exe which cannot handle type libraries.

 - Install the freshly built lib/*.hi files in a new ghc "lib/imports/com"
directory and also the libraries (libHScom.a, libhdirect.a) into ghc's "lib"
directory.

 - Do "make clean", deleting "src/ihc.exe" by hand.

 - Set SUPPORT_TYPELIBS=YES in "src/Makefile"

 - "make boot", "make", then "make lib" as before.

 - You now have version 0.17 of HDirect for Windows.

Regards

Mike Thomas.