ghc-pkg

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:19:21 +0100

> I notice that the method for detecting the configuration of ghc (for
> building 'hmake') no longer works with 5.02.  This must be the most
> unstable part of ghc - I've had to change it at 4.06, 4.08, 5.00,
> and now 5.02 as well!
>=20
>     > ghc-pkg-5.00 --show-package std --field import_dirs
>     /usr/malcolm/local/lib/ghc-5.00/imports/std
>     > ghc-pkg-5.02 --show-package std --field import_dirs
>     $libdir/imports/std
>=20
> There does not appear to be any way to persuade the new ghc-pkg to
> reveal what $libdir is set to.  Can someone give me a clue how to
> discover this information?

Oh woe is me.  Sorry about that - we went to some effort to make the
package configuration independent of the installation location, in order
to make various things less fragile.  The installation location can be
discovered on a Unix system by looking up the -B<dir> argument in the
ghc script. =20

On a Windows installation, you have to derive $libdir from the location
of GHC itself.

Perhaps it would be easier to have hmake just invoke 'ghc --make' under
the hood?