enormous executable

Julian Seward (Intl Vendor) v-julsew@microsoft.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 04:14:39 -0700

| OTOH when you start using and reusing larger libraries, like=20
| Gtk+, the waste accumulates, and it's possibly you don't need=20
| to run too many GTK+HS programs before you see performance decrease=20
| due to memory exhaustion.=20

On Linux and probably most Unixes, the text and data segments
of the executable are loaded page-by-page into memory on
demand.  So having a lot of unused junk in the executable doesn't
necessarily increase the memory used, either real memory or
swap space.  I think it's basically harmless providing you're
only running one instance of the program on the machine.