Casting dynamic values

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:22:32 +0000 (UTC)

27 Nov 2001 17:31:10 -0700, Alastair David Reid <reid@cs.utah.edu> pisze:

> If GHC is able to inline these functions, construction and
> deconstruction of the pair can probably be eliminated.

cast is compiled to something similar to this:

coerce :: a -> b -- this generates no runtime code

type Typeable a = a -> TypeRep

cast :: Typeable a -> Typeable b -> a -> Maybe b
cast t1 t2 x =
    case t1 x of
        rep1 -> case t2 (coerce x) of
            rep2 -> case eqTypeRep rep1 rep2 of
                True -> Just (coerce x)
                False -> Nothing

Instances of Typeable should not look at their argument to determine
TypeRep of its type but unfortunately the compiler can't in general
assume that.

> But I don't think GHC can do this because AFAIK, GHC will not reduce
> literal string comparisions at compile time.

Since Oct 1 it tries to. Unfortunately string literals seem to be
floated out to toplevel before there are recognized as literals being
arguments of (==), and the rule doesn't work.

> [This is assuming that GHC's implementation of Typeof still uses
> strings.  This may not be true though since there was talk of adding
> direct compiler support to make the implementation of typeof more
> efficient and, more importantly, less prone to programmer error.

It doesn't use strings for comparison but uniquely generated numbers.
But it's not safe either: uniqueness of these numbers relies on TyCon
objects being defined at the toplevel, with {-# NOINLINE #-}, and
I'm not sure if common subexpression elimination doesn't mess this up
(it corrupts similar cases).

Anyway equality on statically known TypeRep is not done at compile
time. I don't know why.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/