not naming modules Main

Hal Daume hdaume@ISI.EDU
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:19:16 GMT

Coming up with proposals is always much more difficult that simply
complaining about something.  Here is a proposal which seems
reasonable to me (and implementable):

     Allow any module to have a main function.  When you compile (with
     ghc), and you say, for example:
      % ghc --make Foo.hs -o Foo
     then it looks in Foo.hs for the main function (regardless of
     whether the name of the module appearing in Foo.hs is Main or
     Foo).  As I never use ghc without the --make option, I'm not sure
     how this would roll over when not using it.  Perhaps there could
     be an option like:
      % ghc Foo.hs Bar.hs FooBar.hs -o Foo -main-in Foo.hs
     or something where you can specify which module has the main you
     want to use.

     Then, say you have two modules, Foo.hs (containing module Foo)
     and Bar.hs (containing module Bar), both with main functions,
     suppose Foo is the one from which the desire main function comes,
     you can always "import Bar hiding (main)".

In fact, the -main-in xxxx.hs could simply direct the compiler to,
when reading xxxx.hs, rename the module to be Main...well, not
quite... that would result in some problems when you said xxxx.f for
some other function.  But it could simply "create" a dummy "file" (not
really a file -- more in memory" that's something like:

  module Main(main)
      where

  import qualified xxxx (main)

  main = xxxx.main

or whatever.

Does this seem reasonable?  I can't think of any code it would break.

 - Hal