Why is (monad) elegance so costly?

Saswat Anand saswatan@comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:55:30 +0800 (GMT-8)

Hi,
  I feel embarrased when I post newbie questions after one year
of decent Haskell programming. But it feels much better to ask than to
suffer in ignorance.

My newbie question is: Could anyone explain why the second version of the
following function is better.

Is there a tutorial kind of paper(or related) that gives programmer-view
of closures? In particular when they are created, what do they contain and
where and how they should be avoided to make program faster.

Thank you very much,
Saswat