Evacuated Object

Mon, 28 May 2001 02:07:24 -0700

The error means that GHC's garbage collector has come
across something it doesn't understand.

It's either a bug in the GHC garbage collector, or in GHCi itself
(which plays fast and loose with types in one or two places) or in=20
something to do with the SDL graphics interface. =20

Bugs like this are really hard to find, unless we can reproduce them
here.  Can you send us all the code?

Simon

|=20
|=20
| I'm experimenting with GHC (5.00.1) on RedHat Linux 7.1, it's foreign=20
| function interface (using .hsc files) and the SDL graphics=20
| library (v1.2).=20
| The curious thing is that the following code:
|=20
| main =3D	sdlInit [sdlVideo[
| 	sdlQuit
|=20
| can be loaded into GHCi and executed as many times as I like,=20
| however, if I then carry on and edit the module containing=20
| main, and then perform a=20
| reload (:r), I sometimes get an "EVACUATED object entered!"=20
| message and GHC=20
| crashes on me:
|=20
| TestGraphics> :r
| Compiling TestGraphics     ( TestGraphics.hs, interpreted )
| Ok, modules loaded: TestGraphics, SDL, Rectangle, SDLEvents,=20
| SDLKeySyms,=20
| ForeignUtil.
| TestGraphics> main
| EVACUATED object entered!
| make: *** [interactive] Error 1
| bash$
|=20
| What does this error mean, and why is it only triggered when=20
| I perform a=20
| reload in GHCi?
|=20
| Sometimes the reload works fine, and other times I get a=20
| segmentation fault.
|=20
| Thanks
|=20