Poll: System.exitWith behaviour

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
23 May 2001 07:26:01 GMT

Wed, 23 May 2001 16:50:42 +1000, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty <chak@cse.unsw.edu.au> pisze:

> I think, having the third point is good, because the Haskell
> report requires that
>
>   Computation exitWith code terminates the program,
>   returning code to the program's caller.

Well, it says also that

    Actions, however, must be ordered in a well-defined manner for
    program execution -- and I/O in particular -- to be meaningful.
    Haskell 's I/O monad provides the user with a way to specify the
    sequential chaining of actions, and an implementation is obliged
    to preserve this order.

which is not true in a threaded program.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/