Simon Peyton-Jones
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:41:28 -0700

We have been labouring over the last few weeks to get a GHC that
runs on Windows and=20

	does not require you to install anything else
	does not intefere with anything else you already have installed
		(notably cygwin)

It was a big surprise to me how hard it is to achieve these two=20
objectives simultaneously on a Windows machine.

We are now (very) nearly there, after many exciting learning

We're going to put out a thrill-seekers Win2k release of GHC 5 with
the above properties.  "Thrill-seekers" because it'll be the head of
the tree and hence incorporate various things that 5.00.2 doesn't have
but which are slightly less stable. =20

So I think the simplest thing is to wait a week or two.  If you are in=20
a hurry, install GHC4.08.2, and cygwin, check out the HEAD, and say
(Works for me...)