wait(2)

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:42:37 +1000

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> wrote,

> I've been looking at FreeBSD's `kevent' stuff recently
> - they have a really nice way to wait for several different types of
> event, including file descriptors, processes and even when a file is
> modified (eg. tail -f).  Does Linux or Solaris have anything like this?
> I had a quick look around but didn't find anything.

Linus doesn't seem to be in favour of the approach as at the
end of

  http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20001113_93.epl#1

he writes

  I've actually read the BSD kevent stuff, and I think it's
  classic over-design. It's not easy to see what it's all about,
  and the whole <kq, ident, filter> tuple crap is just silly.
  Looks much too complicated.

But not everybody seems to agree with that:

  http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0011.0/0083.html

Cheers,
Manuel