Problem with .ghci (fwd)

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:51:35 +0100

> Quite. I don't think there is a solution that's going to work=20
> everywhere
> and the current version is simple and effective for most=20
> people. I fixed
> my InteractiveUI.hs to ignore g+w if the group that owns the=20
> file is my
> group, but that's completely wrong at sites which have some users in
> shared groups. I guess there's no reliable general test for a=20
> UPG except
> with local knowledge. There's certainly no fix for the shared=20
> directory
> situation that isn't also going to let dubious .ghci files through
> elsewhere.
>=20
> Unfortunately I can't think of any better option than to=20
> leave it as it
> is with a note in the manual indicating the default=20
> permissions-checking
> behaviour is and where to look in the source to change it if=20
> necessary.

To subvert GHCi's paranoia, just put this in your $HOME/.ghci:

	:def source IO.readFile
	:source ./.ghci

(for extra marks, you could make it check that `pwd` /=3D $HOME, that =
you
hadn't already loaded ./.ghci).

PS. quite embarrassingly, it appears that GHCi just goes ahead and reads
$HOME/.ghci even if the permissions are unsafe.  Time for another
release methinks, before GHCi gets its first CERT advisory :)