Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:42:37 +1000

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> wrote,

> I've been looking at FreeBSD's `kevent' stuff recently
> - they have a really nice way to wait for several different types of
> event, including file descriptors, processes and even when a file is
> modified (eg. tail -f).  Does Linux or Solaris have anything like this?
> I had a quick look around but didn't find anything.

Linus doesn't seem to be in favour of the approach as at the
end of

he writes

  I've actually read the BSD kevent stuff, and I think it's
  classic over-design. It's not easy to see what it's all about,
  and the whole <kq, ident, filter> tuple crap is just silly.
  Looks much too complicated.

But not everybody seems to agree with that: