Lightningspeed haskell

Josef Svenningsson josefs@cs.chalmers.se
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:46:58 +0100 (MET)

Hi all.

Some days ago someone posted this url:
http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/

which is a page benchmarking a number of different languages and
compilers where ghc is one of them. Some benchmarks lacked a haskell
versions (and some still do) and so I decided to fill in some of the gaps.

One benchmark turned out to give pretty remarkable results. It's the
producer/consumer benchmark. I suggest you all take a look at it. The
haskell version is six (SIX!!!) times faster than the c version. Hey,
what's going on here? I would really like to hear some comments from our
dear implementors.

It should be noted that synchronisation is achieved by using
slightly different kinds of primitives. But still... six times...

I lift my hat of for the ghc-implementors.

	/Josef