ghc and hierarchical module names

Ketil Z Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
03 Dec 2001 14:21:56 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> You must give the full module name in the header, eg.

> 	module A.B.C where

This surprised me somewhat, and I must have missed any
discussion/rationale.  Could you elaborate/point me at the relevant
information?

It seems to me that A.B could be implicit (leaving "module C where"),
from the path. This might help resolve point 3.2[0] Renaming of
Subtrees, since one could add -I (or equivalent options, or modify a
path in an env var) for commonly used directories.

(Okay, so it would introduce a dependency between the importing source
and the build process.  Is that it?)

-kzm

[0] ...suggesting a syntax along

	import Org.Com.Microsoft.* as Microsoft.*
	import Microsoft.Foo
	import Microsoft.J++ as Java

giving a shorthand access to deeply nested libraries.