The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 5.00

Michael Weber michaelw@debian.org
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:44:19 +0200

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 16:44:54 +0200, Michael Weber wrote:
> >     The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 5.00
> >    ============================================================
> >
> > We are pleased to announce a new major release of the Glasgow Haskell
> > Compiler (GHC), version 5.00.  The source distribution is freely
> > available via the World-Wide Web and through anon. FTP, under a
> > BSD-style license.  See below for download details.  Pre-built
> > packages for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and Win32 are also available.
> [...]
> Debian packages for GHC 5.00 are available for some days now in the
> 'unstable' distribution.  They should have hit the mirrors already, so
> please choose the nearest one.  More info on that below.
[...]

> Availability
> ============
[...]

> As a consequence, GHC is built against the latest libraries in
> 'unstable', including libc6 (>= 2.2.2-2).  I am sorry, but at the
> moment I cannot make any promises about when packages for 'stable'
> (aka potato) will be available.

Ok, big thanks to Kevin Glynn, who provided me with a Debian potato
machine and allowed me to burn quite some CPU cycles [Hi Kevin! =)].
There are now updated packages for ghc4, ghc5 and happy for POTATO
available (libc6 >= 2.1.2).

So, basically, potato (aka current 'stable') users need not upgrade to
'testing' or 'unstable' to get a running GHC 5.00 (or GHCi).

The packages are available at my APT store (see below), but NOT from
Debian directly.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
===============

These packages depend on libgmp3, just like the packages in
'unstable', so you need the libgmp3(-dev) packages.  Since they are
not available for potato, I recompiled them and made them available,
too.

To make things even more complicated, libgmp3 does not play well with
the libgmp2 provided by potato, so I rebuild new libgmp2 packages,
too.  I did my best to nevertheless provide a smooth upgrade path to
the woody or sid distributions, so this should not lead to any
problems at all.  If there is something, that does not work, please
let me know ASAP.

However, for APT users this should be quite unimportant, since APT
should pull in the necessary stuff on it's own.  If not, again please
let me know.  You can also try to upgrade libgmp2 first, then install
libgmp3(-dev), and then the GHC suite.  In any case, please let me
know about any trouble you experienced.

APT lines:
	deb     http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/debian potato/
	deb-src http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/debian potato/

Cheers,
Michael
--
() ASCII ribbon campaign |  Chair for Computer Science  II  | GPG: F65C68CD
/\ against HTML mail     |       RWTH Aachen, Germany       | PGP: 1D0DD0B9