Building nhc98-1.02 with ghc-5.00

Olaf Chitil olaf@cs.york.ac.uk
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:07:14 +0100

> the building of nhc98-1.02 with ghc-5.00 aborts
> with the message:
>
> Main.hs:8:
>     Failed to find interface decl for `PrelGHC.(#,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,#)'
>     from module `PrelGHC'
>
> Any hints for interpretation?

I suspect that is because nhc98 defines a data type with a single
constructor that has about 75 arguments. (It is to hold all compiler
flags and it is actually a record.) It seems that the new ghc-5.00 tries
to implement that data type internally in terms of an unboxed tuple.
However, ghc-5.00 doesn't implement unboxed tuples of that size.

So, ghc guys, does that mean that ghc-5.00 cannot handle any data
constructors with many arguments? ghc-4.08 and all other Haskell systems
certainly can handle such data constructors ;-)

Cherio,
Olaf

--
OLAF CHITIL,
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK.