[Q] bootstrapping ghc on netbsd

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:58:58 +0100

> QUESTION: Is there an easy way of keeping ghc-4.08.2 from using any
> assembler code when compiling it from .hc files + sources?

No, there isn't an easy way.  When compiling via C, GHC "mangles" the
assembly output from the C compiler in order to support tail calls and
some other optimisations.  There's a native code generator, but currenly
it can't be used for some of the library code.

> DETAILS: Why do I want to do this?  gmp-2.0.2 has some problems
> compiling on netbsd machines that can be solved by hiding all
> assembler code from the compiler.

I think this was a misconfiguration problem with GMP, as I mentioned in
my other message to glasgow-haskell-bugs.

>  Having done so, I managed to
> bootstrap on NetBSD 1.3.2, but still have an inplace-compiler failure
> on 1.5.  The error message is from the gcc assembler (see below), so I
> thought trying a pure C variant might help somewhat.

This is almost certainly an incompatibility between the exact flavour of
GCC being used on NetBSD 1.5, and our assembly mangling machinery.  If
you add the flag -ddump-raw-asm, and send me the output, I might be able
to tell what's wrong.