Overloaded function and implicit parameter passing

José Romildo Malaquias romildo@urano.iceb.ufop.br
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:22:35 -0200

Hi.

While experimenting with the implicit parameter
extension to Haskell 98, implemented in GHC 4.08.1
and latest Hugs, I came accross a difference among
those implementations regarding overloading functions
with implicit parameters.

As a test consider the program

------------------------- cut here
module Main where

class C a where
    f :: (?env :: Integer) => a -> Integer

instance C Integer where
    f x = ?env + x

main = putStrLn (show (f (45::Integer) with ?env = 100))
------------------------- cut here

Hugs accepts this program and outputs 145, as expected.
But GHC 4.08.1 refuses to compile it, emitting the
message

$ ghc -fglasgow-exts Test1.hs -o test1

Test1.hs:7:
    Unbound implicit parameter `env_rJX :: Integer'
    arising from use of `env_rJX' at Test1.hs:7
    In the first argument of `+', namely `env_rJX'
    In the right-hand side of an equation for `f': env_rJX + x

Compilation had errors

Would anybody comment on what is going on with GHC?

I am willing to use implicit parameters in the
software I am developing, but I have the need
to overload functions with implicit parameters.
While Hugs is good for development, its performance
may rule it out when the final product is ready.
So I will need a good Haskell compiler to compile
my system.

Any comments?

Romildo
--