Porting to powerpc-linux

David Brown haskell@davidb.org
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:31:22 -0700

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:15:49AM -0700, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > I've got my x86 linux box ready to build some unregistered .hc files.
>
> You'll need two build trees.  In the first tree, build the compiler as
> normal, and the libraries/RTS with -unreg -keep-hc-files-too.  You should be
> able to use these .hc files to try out some simple programs on the PPC.
>
> In the second tree, bootstrap the compiler using the compiler from the first
> tree with -unreg -keep-hc-files-too.  Take these .hc files to the PPC and
> bootstrap them there.

Ok.  Here's what I've done.  I've made two trees, b1 and b2, and some
appropriate directories ton install in.

Inside b1, I edited b1/ghc/lib/std/Makefile to add the options
-optc-DNO_REGS...  and compiled this compiler.

I then went into b2 and added the unregister options to SRC_HC_OPTS in
b2/mk/config.mk  (Configured to use the compiler generated in step b1.

During the build here, the compiler SEGVs when compiling the first haskell
file built with the new built compiler.

../../driver/ghc-inplace -keep-hc-file-too -optc-DNO_REGS
-optc-DUSE_MINIINTERPRETER -fno-asm-mangling -funregisterised -fvia-C
-recomp -cpp -fglasgow-exts -fvia-C -Rghc-timing -O -package-name std
-static -split-objs  -H12m  -c PrelBase.lhs -o PrelBase.o -osuf o

Haskell compiler received signal 11

I'm guessing I didn't do the b1 build right.  The compiler it generated
builds, but doesn't even run.  Do I need to add the unregistered options
throughout the build, or just in the library?

Thanks,
Dave Brown