[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #631: Set program exit code by main return type, recommendation: accept something

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Tue Mar 26 09:34:00 UTC 2024

Alright, so here are the plausible alternatives

1a. New type-class-based behaviour without extension
1b. New type-class-based behaviour gated by an extension
2. Just a warning (when main isn't at type IO () or IO Void)
3a. A warning + the new type-class-based behaviour gated by an extension.
With the extension, types that don't implement the type class raise an
error.
3b. A warning + the new type-class-based behaviour gated by an extension.
With the extension, types that don't implement the type class raise a
warning (which could have a different phrasing than without the extension).

Let's vote!

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 15:30, Malte Ott <malte.ott at maralorn.de> wrote:

> On 2024-03-22 08:58, Arnaud Spiwack wrote:
> > @Malte, in my opinion, with the extension on, types which are not covered
> > by the type class should error out.
>
> Ah, I see. Well, I am fine either way.
>
> I just don’t see much value in deciding for the user which code problems
> are
> unacceptable. Especially since this will make the corresponding language
> extension more breaking and thus harder to make the default.
> Others have voiced similar opinions in the GitHub thread.
>
> Best
> Malte

Arnaud Spiwack
Director, Research at https://moduscreate.com and https://tweag.io.