[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #641: Wildcard binders in type declarations

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 09:56:37 UTC 2024

Dear Steering Committee

Vlad proposes to amend proposal #425
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0425-decl-invis-binders.rst>to
permit more wildcard binder forms in type declarations:
  https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/641

You may find it easiest to look at the rich diff
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/641/files?short_path=cb2a762#diff-cb2a762676d938436a07317bbd007570b5efdfa00b40763b897ee920694bcbb5>
.

This is a pretty small generalisation which would allow

data T (( (a :: k1) :: k2)) = ...

in which the binder has multiple kind signatures and redundant parens.  The
change is *not driven by user need*, but rather solely by *uniformity*:
these same forms are permitted in function definitions:

f :: forall (a :: k). blah
f @(((a::k1)::k2))) = ...

is permitted.

It imposes a change on Template Haskell syntax too.

The implementation becomes a bit more complicated; more recursive data
types, etc.  Nothing hard, but more.

It's not a big deal either way.  Very few people expressed a view on
GitHub.  My personal view is that the modest (albeit non-zero) gain does
not justify the definite (albeit modest) pain. I would leave this until
someone actually wants it.

Vlad argues for future-proofing, but my experience is that an eye to the
future is sensible when you are making changes anyway; but making unforced
changes solely for the future risks incurring pain now that, when the
future comes, turns out to have been a poor investment.  We may have
correctly anticipated, or we may not.

So my recommendation is to park this until we get a real user demand.

It's a perfectly sensible proposal, but adopting it is a judgement call.
I'll leave a week for committee responses, and then we can just vote.

Simon