[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #631: Set program exit code by main return type, recommendation: accept something

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Tue Mar 19 14:15:25 UTC 2024

So, my opinion that I promised, is that the best would probably be to have
add a warning when main doesn't have type `IO ()` or `IO Void` without the
extension (the behaviour is otherwise unchanged), and then change the
behaviour to use the typeclass with an extension (which we hope to turn on
by default in the next language edition). The extension should probably
disable the warning.

Now, I don't actually know how to implement this properly. So maybe it's a
bad idea. But I believe that's what I'd like to see.