[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #631: Set program exit code by main return type, recommendation: accept something

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Mar 14 13:32:43 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Shea has updated his proposal based on the committee's feedback.

There seem to be two main alternatives being considered at the moment
- Having a type class to compute the exit code based on the type. This is
Shea's favourite. It can be done without an extension (as Shea's proposing)
or with an extension.
- Keep the current behaviour but emit a warning when the return type of
`main` isn't `()` or `Void`.

I have opinions about my preference, but I'd like to hear about everybody's
thoughts first.

Arnaud Spiwack
Director, Research at https://moduscreate.com and https://tweag.io.