[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #637: Modify multiline string proposal #569 to remove one trailing newline

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Sun Jul 28 16:32:05 UTC 2024

Dear Committee,

Brandon has proposed an amendment to his previous multiline string proposal.

https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/637

The change is to strip one trailing newline from the lexed string, meaning that a multiline string like

"""
hello
world
"""

would actually lex as "hello\nworld".

He makes a compelling case that this behavior is more compositional. I recommend acceptance.

This is a tiny change, so I'll give us a week for review and will declare the amendment accepted next weekend barring any objections.

Eric