[ghc-steering-committee] Dealing with abuse on the issue tracker

Malte Ott malte.ott at maralorn.de
Thu Jul 25 07:34:57 UTC 2024

> How does it come over to all of you?   Any advice or suggestions?

The indidividual in question is a very active participant in SC discussions for years.
While their posts often contain relevant technical insight, while no single
post in itself is obviously terrible, most of the least friendly posts in those
discussions over those years are from them.

It was always my hope, that other participants regard this as an outlier and are
able to ignore it, but that is obviously a naive hope and also generally not how
people evaluate the behaviour of "a community".

I would very much hope that we don’t need to go in the direction of enforcement
here, because that is generally a loose-loose situation. On the other hand the
GHC Proposals process is already quite daunting for a lot of people (I also
notice that we are currently not being flooded with a lot of proposals.) and I
would love for it to be as welcoming as possible. Hopefully more appeals to that
and being more vocal about less then excellent communication going forward can
help with that.

Best,
Malte