[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #608, -XPatternSignatureBinds. Rec: accept

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 09:46:54 UTC 2024

Does this one have a purpose?

Well, yes.   It allows people who want pattern signatures that do not bind
to have pattern signatures that do not bind.

Given that it is easy to specify, and easy to implement, I'm inclined to
give them their wishes.

Having lots of combinations be possible (for users who care to specify
them), as GHC has historically done, is fully compatible with language
editions that embody a particular set of choices.   I like language
editions, but I don't see them as a reason to restrict choice.

(If it was hard to implement something that would be a strike against
choice; but that's not at issue here.)

I don't think this particular issue is worth burning many cycles over :-).
Let's just accept and move on.

Simon