[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #608, -XPatternSignatureBinds. Rec: accept

Richard Eisenberg reisenberg at janestreet.com
Fri Jan 26 19:30:53 UTC 2024

Well, -XScopedTypeVariables is in GHC2021, and I think we're generally
imagining increasing the size of this subset, not decreasing it. So the
case you're wondering about (where we'd want one but not the other) seems
unlikely to me.

On the other hand, if I generalize your question a bit to think about
whether we'd want one but not the other in some language edition as in
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/628, then quite
possibly. But if we go in that direction, the precise arrangement of
language extensions matters not so much, because that view of the world
removes language extensions from the set of things a user should be
worrying about.

Richard