[ghc-steering-committee] Secretary of the GHC Steering Committee

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Jan 26 15:31:00 UTC 2024

Hi,

Am Montag, dem 22.01.2024 um 20:47 +0000 schrieb Adam Gundry:
> (Joachim, if you have any particular pointers for how to do this, e.g.
> regarding the specific voting mechanism you've used in previous rounds,
> that would be welcome.)

because we do this thing where we have a slightly varying committee
size and am happy to take on more good candidates than absolutely
necessary, I did an overly complicated ranked voting system. The email
I sent during the last regular round, with three candidates, had this
section:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

## Voting procedure

We have currently 7 non-expiring members, and our bylaws say we should
have a committee of “roughly 10”, so we can take on all candidates. We
should take on at least two, if possible, else we’d be compelled to do
another round of nominations (the bylaws say that less than 9 members
trigger a call for nomination).

To express our options, we’ll use the following ranked voting. In an
email to me (or all of us, if you want, but _not_ the mailing list),
order the following lines according your order of preference, starting
with your most preferred statement:

AAA joins the committee
BBB joins the committee
CCC joins the committee
Committee has 9 members, two new
Committee has 8 members, one new
Committee has 7 members, no new

Please vote within one week, until Friday, Feb 19th (or at least
briefly ask for an extension).

## Example

For example (using made up names), if you think that all candidates are
good enough to get us up to 9 members, but you’d rather not grow the
committee further except with Donald Duck, then you could write

Donald Duck
Committee has 9 members, two new
Mickey Mouse
Peter Pan
Committee has 8 members, one new
Committee has 7 members, no new

If you want to vote against a certain candidate, put their name _after_
“Committee has 7 members, no new”.

(Yes, maybe a tad complicated, and it would make more sense if we had
more candidates. But I hope you’ll entertain my electorial whims :-)

But it may just suffice to go for plain approval voting, where every
member says yay or nay, and those approved by a majority are in - up to
you.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de