[ghc-steering-committee] #632: Phased introduction of GHC2024

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Thu Feb 15 08:50:29 UTC 2024

Dear committee,

In #632, I propose amending the GHC2024 proposal to specify that the
default language used by ghc/ghci when run directly will remain GHC2021
for now, since changing to GHC2024 is not backwards compatible. (This
does not affect Cabal packages either way, since Cabal specifies its own
default.)

https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/632

https://github.com/adamgundry/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc2024-amendment/proposals/0613-ghc2024.rst#introduction-of-ghc2024

On the discussion thread, some people expressed a preference that GHC
should default to the latest language edition anyway. There is also
Richard's suggestion of wider changes of approach in #636. However,
given that the GHC 9.10 fork date is fast approaching, introducing
GHC2024 but not making it the default seems like the best short-term
solution to me. We can always reassess our approach to this for future
releases as part of the wider discussion.

If you object to the proposed approach, please speak up ASAP. Otherwise
I plan to merge in a week or so.

Cheers,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England