[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #592: Scoped kind variables in standalone kind signatures (recommend accept)

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Tue Feb 13 16:38:48 UTC 2024

I haven't taken time to check that the specification that Vlad wrote is the
same as that of -XExtendedForAllScope for type signatures and function
definitions. But I trust that Vlad did his homework.

This makes perfect sense to me, though I'm not sure this is worth spending
time on, considering that we seem to be going in the direction to deprecate
-XExtendedForAllScope.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 at 23:39, Simon Peyton Jones <
simon.peytonjones at gmail.com> wrote:

> I support this too.
>
> Simon
>
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 03:10, Eric Seidel <eric at seidel.io> wrote:
>
>> Dear Committee,
>>
>> Vlad has found what looks like a clear gap in the interaction between
>> two extensions: -XStandaloneKindSignatures and -XExtendedForAllScope.
>>
>> I think it's quite obvious that under -XExtendedForAllScope the forall
>> in a standalone kind signature should behave like the forall in a
>> standalone type signature, i.e. it should scope over the definition
>> as well.
>>
>> I recommend accepting this amendment to StandaloneKindSignatures.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/592
>>
>> https://github.com/int-index/ghc-proposals/blob/scoped-saks/proposals/0054-kind-signatures.rst#proposed-change-specification

Arnaud Spiwack