[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #641: Wildcard binders in type declarations

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 16:25:12 UTC 2024

Dear GHC Steering Committee

Vlad proposes to amend proposal #425
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0425-decl-invis-binders.rst>to
permit more wildcard binder forms in type declarations:
  https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/641

See my mail below.   I recommend, fairly strongly, to park this until there
is evidence of need.

   - it's an unforced change,
   - with no user demand
   - but some real user impact (notably: it will break some TH users)
   - and some implementation cost (modest but very non-zero)
   - aiming to anticipate as-yet-unknown future requirements -- but YAGNI
   <https://martinfowler.com/bliki/Yagni.html>

I think it's time to vote.   Please so before Monday morning.  Thank you!

Simon