[ghc-steering-committee] #571: -Wsevere, Shepherd: Adam (rec: accept)

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Fri Sep 22 11:16:01 UTC 2023

Moritz, can I pass on some excellent advice I got from Richard on first joining the list, namely don't try to 'read the room' here but call things as you see them. Thanks to some excellent management from the usual suspects we are quite good at searching out a consensus when needed.

I am strongly in agreement with Simon Marlow here -- I really don't think we should be introducing breaking changes unless it is really, really necessary, and I just don't think "this is what we think developers should be doing" and "nobody reads manuals any more" clears the threshold for me. And, while I take Richard's point about the value of deprecation periods, I still think we should only introduce breaking changes in exceptional circumstances.

Again, I fully support the introduction of the Severe category with the proposed warnings included.

The way I would approach this is to predicate the change of behaviour on a language extension with a view to getting it included in (say) GHC2024. People that really care about stability can tie things down by specifying the language they are working with at the appropriate points. Folks are now used to the GHC selecting a new default once a new Haskell* or GHC* standard is agreed.

Chris