[ghc-steering-committee] Urgent: exension life cycle proposal

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 09:50:25 UTC 2023

Adam,

How can I support a proposal that cements a
already firmly established practice, I fundamentally disagree with?

Every extension in a stable GHC release by extension has to be stable,
maybe deprecated. But stable. This proposal basically says it is ok to have
unstable extensions in a stable GHC release. I do not believe that
-WXUnstable should exist in a stable compiler. And from an end user
perspective I think there can only be stable and deprecated extensions.

GHC is already a highly complex piece of software from an end user
perspective, let’s try to make it simpler not add even more complexity.

I have no intentions to turn this proposal into
a radical change to release practices. I have provided most of this for
context as to why I can not see myself supporting this proposal as is.

I can support a subset of the proposal. I do not see how I can support a
this proposal in its entirety?

Best,
  Moritz