[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Sep 2 08:09:53 UTC 2023

Dear Committee,

time for another status email, in particular because I need an up-to-date
update to get stats for Simon’s famous report at HIW on Monday. Hope to see
some of you there! Let’s see what has happened since July 3

 * Arnaud did round 3 of his language extension policy investigation.

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #597: Constraints synonyms in deriving heads, Shepherd: Moritz
   #604: do not let -XScopedTypeVariables imply -XTypeAbstractions, Sepherd: Joachim
   #608: no implicit bindings with -XPatternSignatures, Shepherd: Richard
   #583: HasField redesign, Shepherd: Arnaud
   #609: (p1; p2) for or-patterns, Shepherd: Chris
   #607: Amendments clarify treatment of term variables in types, Shepherd: Vlad
   #605: visible forall to work without ScopedTypeVariables, Shepherd: Joachim
   #601: Extension lifecycle, Shepherd: Simon PJ

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #604: do not let -XScopedTypeVariables imply -XTypeAbstractions, rec: accept
   #605: visible forall to work without ScopedTypeVariables, rec: accept
   #607: Amend #281 (visible forall) and #378 (Design of DH) to clarify treatment of term variables in types (rec: accept)
   #583: HasField redesign, rec: accept
   #601: Extension lifecycle, rec: accept

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   #601: Extension lifecycle

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #596: sized literals in Show, accept
   #581: Namespaces-specified Imports, accept
   #604: do not let -XScopedTypeVariables imply -XTypeAbstractions, accept
   #607: Amend #281 (visible forall) and #378 (Design of DH) to clarify treatment of term variables in types (rec: accept)
   #605: visible forall to work without ScopedTypeVariables, accept

So we currently have to act on the following 9 proposals, up one since
last time:

## Waiting for committee decision

#512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Shepherd: Vlad
      2022-09-03: Assigned to Baldur
      2022-10-02: Reassignd to Vlad
      2022-11-30: Vlad recommends rejection
      This needs to be picked up again, it has been lingering too long!

#536: Type-level literals as a sep language extension, Shepherd: Vlad
      2023-02-16 Assigned to Vlad
      2023-03-06 Vlad recommends acceptance
      Some hesitancy in the committee to introduce this extension,
      the ongoing policy clarification process might guide us,
      but maybe we can resolve this earlier?

#583: HasField redesign, rec: accept
      2023-08-30 Arnaud recommends acceptance

## Waiting for shepherd recommendation

#526: Applicative Comprehensions, Shepherd: Simon M
      2022-10-08: Assigned to Simon M
      Simon, please cast your recommendation!

#585: Amend Or Patterns, Shepherd: Richard
      2023-04-11: Assigned to Richard
      There are votes on syntax going on, ran by Sebastian Graf.
      Maybe this should be in “needs revision” until they are through.
      Richard, I’ll leave this to you
#609 seems to be related, not sure if we need both.

#194: Updated partial type signatures, Shepherd: Eric
      2023-05-25: Came back from needs revision

#434: Fine-grained unused warnings, Shepherd: Chris
      2023-07-02: Assigned to Chris

#597: Constraints synonyms in deriving heads, Shepherd: Moritz
      2023-07-25: Assigned to Moritz

#608: no implicit bindings with -XPatternSignatures, Shepherd: Richard
      2023-08-17: Assigned to Richard

  mail at joachim-breitner.de